Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Final presentation and online game?

Personal Progress in Science - Personal path through science?

Different points from our discussion today:
How can we come up with something new?
To use case studies in our presentation
Career planning (are we going to use the map for that?)
Personal (!) way in science
That we should maybe not start from the different disciplines as that is already the methodological level, but instead to start from a phenomenon or problem
The web log is may not the right form for us because we use it one the one hand as a communication platform and at the same time for a structured knowledge creation base.




For our presentation (45.min) – next Monday J.:

Part A:
Reflection about our progressing way form the first section to the final outcome
How things/research questions changed over time in our mind
With what knew knowledge did we come up and what we will do different the next time

Part B:

Map:
From the idea of train stations we come up to use a world map and scientists as travellers
White areas can be places which are undiscovered
Different styles in travelling are like different styles in scientifically working (some scientists are personally more interested in details and facts and others are searching for more holistic concepts – compare interview with the women from Natalie);
Some people like to travel with a very concrete travelling plan in mind and others like to travel around and let surprise themselves with what is coming up.
We can travel through the world per ships, per plain, per car....
Some stay in their house and never travel, which in our case means that they are not interested in looking what is going on in other countries (=scientific disciplines)
We want to create a simple map which everybody from the group can use personally.

Problem:
What is our concrete goal with that map, and how can we come up with new knowledge that we don’t know until yet? How we are going to make the second part of our presentation.


Idea:
My suggestion is to create a virtual travelling game for our group members (maybe we can make it public too) The white undiscovered spots on the planet can be the space for phenomena or unsolved problems. Different scientists can travel there and come up or discuss with scientists from other disciplines in order to find the best explanation or solution (The scientist or discipline with the best explanation or solution can gain the white spot and colour it with his or their colour-that kind of direction will maybe not enhance the cooperation with different disciplines, hence I think it is not a good idea).
We can come up with new knowledge because we don’t know which phenomena or problems will come up as well as the scientific path to solve them.
Until know I have no concrete knowledge how to create such a game. Anyway as far I know there is the possibility to create a flash game or a 3D game. A 3D game will me more interesting but maybe more complicated and expensive too, beside the case you know somebody who can create one or have experience with it. A flash game will be more realistic I guess? I have this information from following forum (-sorry the side is written in German):
http://iq.lycos.de/qa/show/247988/Gibt+es+ein+Programm+mit+dem+ich+Spiele+erstellen+kann%3F%3F%3F/
I have tried to install the „Adobe InDesign CS3” in order to make a try to create such a game. It is a free version. I downloaded it but it was not possible to open.
Another possibility could be following webpage:
http://www.mygame.com

This game can maybe combine the scientists career and curiosity. What do you think is it realistic to come up with such a game, which means does anybody have experience in creating such a game?

1 comment:

Nata said...

Thanks Kathrin, for writing down all the things from our morning session. I want to add just an important point for Dirk - I think Markus liked our idea of the Scientific Map :)...

I like your idea, Kathrin, about the game. Could be a nice game to play. I have no experience with creating such kind of games, but I guess it is very time consuming, I don't think that we can do it till Monday.